Melissa Joan Hart,39, of ‘Sabrina The Teenage Witch’ fame, is looking better than ever these days. The actress,director and writer, is boosting a new found svelte figure that many are admiring. The mother of three says it’s been very freeing to know that those skinny jeans in the closet will always fit and look good. Hart has been married to musician Mark Wilkerson for 12 years, she says she works our regularly with her husband to keep a healthy weight.

Melissa Joan Hart weight loss

Hart says that she has never really been a person that regularly worked out. However her husband is avid gym rat. He’s a man that spends a great deal of time in the gym, it’s second nature to him. Hart says she went to her husband early in her weight loss quest, and asked him to oversee her training in the gym. The strategy has obviously worked, as the busy mother has been able to maintain her weight loss.

The husband wife team spend three days a week together in the gym and work basically on weight training. Although Hart separately works on cardio routines. She says that she has found two days of cardio classes in conjunction with the weight training to be the most successful combination in maintaining her weight loss. She said the time she and her husband spend in the gym is their time away from their kids. It’s just alone time for the two of them.

She says that the weight loss, has given her a new sense of confidence that she was lacking when she was carrying the extra weight. “It just made me happier. It made me feel physically and emotionally lighter to be able to do the things I want to do. To be able to wear the clothe I want to wear, and to feel sexy around my husband again. I’m very proud of myself.”

She has been plugging the weight loss program ‘Nutra Systems’ and is their national spokeswoman. She said she lost 40 pounds last year, she said the trick is maintaining the weight loss. She said “It can be easy if you learn lessons. Last year I learned a lesson about portion control. I also learned about being able to have all the celebrations, things like birthday cake and Thanksgiving dinner. But then the next day getting back on the horse. I make sure I have my Nutra Shake in the morning, have a good healthy lunch and dinner. Just keeping it very clean. You know 80% of it is nutrition, we work out the other 20% of the time. For breakfast I like shakes, my Nutra Systems shakes, I add some non fat Greek yogurt and honey and that’s usually breakfast. Lunch just depends on work and what not. If I have my Nutra Systems meals it’s easy or I can add a salad to that, or just have some chicken and try to keep it clean. Then dinner we usually try to do with the kids. The kids like to have pasta a lot, but sometimes we have to change it up a little to keep it healthy. They get one thing and then Mommy and Daddy get something else.”