Detoxification- how can it be done? how often? What is detoxification? Why do we need to get our bodies detox? All you need to know is below.
How does detoxification work?
Detoxification means cleaning the blood. It does this mainly by removing impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymph and skin. However, when this system is compromised, impurities aren’t properly filtered and every cell in the body is adversely affected.
How to detox your body:
The ideal way to detox your body is to begin with a 24-hour fast, I know it sounds a bit extreme but very effective try it and go slow; if you feel up to it and are not on any medications. Seek your doctor’s or nutritionist’s advice if you are unsure. Choose a day when it is not necessary to be very active. You also need to drink lots of fluid during a fast, as dehydration must never be allowed. To aid inner cleansing, a very good health habit is to both begin and end the day with a drink of hot water and fresh lemon juice. Eat as much raw food as possible for the rest of the week. Raw fruit and vegetables are not only the easiest food for the body to digest, but they also have a brilliant cleansing effect on the body.
A detox program can help the body’s natural cleaning process by:
· Resting the organs through fasting
· Stimulating the liver to drive toxins from the body
· Promoting elimination through the intestines, kidneys and skin
· Improving circulation of the blood
· Refueling the body with healthy nutrients
· Detox Action Plan:
· Begin your detox at the weekend or during a time when you don’t have too much going on.
· Walk for at least 15 minutes every day.
· Drink at least 2 liters of water a day – purified, distilled, filtered or bottled. You can also drink dandelion coffee or herb teas.
· Have ½ liter of fruit or vegetable juice – either carrot and apple juice (you can buy these two separately and combine with one-third water) with grated ginger, or fresh watermelon juice – a day. The flesh of the watermelon is high in beta-carotene and vitamin C.